Thursday, May 24, 2012

Guidelines - Guidelines EP

One of the homies from Daido Loori posted this in the CMHWAK forums a few days ago, on the day of the EP's internet release I think. My first thought from listening to the EP in its entirety for the first time was that the band definitely had the same qualities that made me love the Drago Miette. This band does not have the synthesizers or electronics that the Drago Miette possessed, but they do have a similar full sound where every instrument and shout adds to some wall of sound feel that resonates throughout the whole EP. Which makes it very easy to get a little lost in the songs. This isn't a bad thing though. A dream-like undercurrent envelops within the songs as you listen to really awesome musicianship and abrasive vocals. Like the Drago Miette, the band makes the noise and production a big integral part of the EP, and ultimately makes the songs fairly beautiful. I don't know how else to describe it. I also get reminded of metalcore tinged screamo bands, stuff like xvpopdmx and Dispensing of False Halos, more the latter than the former especially in terms of the way both the vocalists sound. Actually, thinking about it now, the band sounds like a mash between the production values and sound aesthetics of the Drago Miette mixed in with the musicianship and vocals of Dispensing of False Halos. Again, I'm sorry if the band gets mad at me for comparing them with other bands. I, for some reason, cannot help it today. The worst thing I could do is compare bands to one another. Oh well. This is good stuff.

Guidelines - Guidelines EP
http://guidelines.bandcamp.com/album/s-t-ep

No comments: