Thursday, May 24, 2012

Atlas At Last - Ceviche

This band went through a big change last year. I suppose they were two different bands (according to the info on Sailboats bandcamp page - not the band that died in a tragic, tragic accident RIP) or something, but now go by Atlas At Last. Regardless of the name, the songs are pretty neat. First off on "Fish" there's a weird kind of emo feel to it, with a little more melodic rhythm to it. I suppose I feel it's a mix of Commander Venus with some Shroomunion (they always had weird guitar progressions that this song seems to flow with) caked on top of it, with the versatility and "vibe" of The Convocation Of...; I feel that the song doesn't sound like any of these bands, really, unless they were all strung together. It isn't until the 2 minute mark where the band seems to find its own voice, kind of sounding similar to other post-hardcore bands, but with some "pirate-like" agitation. I don't know, it seems that was done super purposefully given the lyrics and song title. The rest of the songs are fairly similar, not in the way that some bands write the same song over and over, but how you can tell that this is Atlas At Last. "Raindrops Keep Eating One Another" has some Weezer-esque chord progression, I think, at least it sounds like that to me. It sounds even more like Commander Venus than the song before it, with the vocalist tending to shout out words like the homeboy from Cursive. Very Omaha/indie-rock or something. The closer "In The Company Of" is still pretty almost indie rock emo, with some aggression, definitely like Cursive. I hope this band doesn't hate me for describing their sound using other band names.


Atlas At Last - Ceviche
http://atlasatlast.bandcamp.com/

No comments: